National Insurance and Tax


Student Tax Certificates

Student Tax Certificates are important to have if you are living and working as a student. If you are working, full or part-time, you can earn up to £10,000 per year before you pay income tax. Student Loans and Grants are not taxable; neither is Housing Benefit, or any parental contributions.

Tax certificates confirm that you are exempt from paying taxes such as council tax, and can save you a lot of money.


NI number information

If you are a UK resident, you should have been issued with a National Insurance number on, or shortly before, your 16th birthday. Your national insurance number is used to keep track of any National Insurance payments and benefits you may receive, and to make sure employers can arrange your tax correctly.

If you are an International student and wish to work in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance number.

To apply for a National Insurance number, you will need to ring the application number: 0845 600 0643. From this initial phone conversation, an interview will be arranged at your local jobcentre. To find out more about this process visit: