AUBSU is looking for a voluntary External Trustee to join our existing Trustee Board.
We have recently seen a period of considerable growth and would like an External Trustee who will support our continued success and ongoing work with our stakeholders.
We are particularly looking for a Trustee who has a background working in the areas of Equality and Diversity, ideally someone with experience and knowledge of charities, Higher Education and the voluntary sector.
Find out more about AUBSU here.
Find out more about being a Trustee here.
Trustee Job Description
Trustees are the people responsible for overseeing the management and administration of The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union.
The Students’ Union became a charity in its own right and registered with the Charity Commission in 2012. The Students’ Union elects up to four External Trustees, up to four Student Trustees and has two ‘ex-officio’ Sabbatical Officer Trustees. The Strategic Plan outlines the mission, vision and aims of the Students’ Union; the latest Plan focuses on 2017 – 2020 and provides the overarching framework each Sabbatical team must work within.
As set out in the Constitution, the objects of the Students’ Union are the advancement of the education of students at The Arts University Bournemouth for the public benefit which include:
- Promoting the interests and welfare of students at AUB during their course of studies and representing, supporting and advising students;
- Being the recognised representative channel between students and AUB and any other external bodies; and
- Providing social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussion and debate for the personal development of its students.
General responsibilities of a Trustee
- To ensure that The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union complies with its governing document, charity law, and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To maintain proper financial control and ensure that The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects i.e. the charity must not spend money on activities that are not included in its objects
- To help set and maintain vision, mission and values
- To develop strategy, helping to set overall policy, define goals and targets, and evaluate performance against agreed targets
- To ensure accountability
- To support the operational management of the organisation
- To draft and monitor the implementation of internal policies, which must include equality and diversity as well as health and safety policies and grievance and disciplinary procedures
- To ensure that risk assessment procedures for all aspects of the business are in place
- To safeguard the reputation and values of The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union
- To maintain effective board performance and ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity including funding, insurance and premises
- To promote The Arts University Bournemouth Students’ Union
- To act in the best interests of the charity, never in the interests of the individual or another organisation
In addition to the above statutory duties, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board reach sound decisions. These may involve scrutinising board and focus group papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
The AUBSU Trustee Board consists of four Student Trustees, two Sabbatical Trustees, and four External Trustees, including the vacant position. The Trustee Board meets up to five times a year at the Arts University Bournemouth, in Poole. Meetings usually take around one to two hours, with refreshments provided.
This is a voluntary position; some expenses can be reimbursed in line with our Constitution.
If you have the skillset and would like to support the AUB Students’ Union development and improvement, we would like to hear from you.