Housing Guide: Sustainable Living on a Budget

Are you looking to make some small changes to help ease your impact on the planet?

Housing Guide: Sustainable Living on a Budget

Are you looking to make some small changes to help ease your impact on the planet? There are some simple household actions you can take to lessen your carbon footprint and prevent waste.

 

Adjust your laundry settings

According to the Energy Saving Trust, washing clothes at 30 degrees uses around 40% less electricity over the course of a year compared to higher temperatures. You could go further and wash at 20 degrees which will mean that even more energy is saved, as washing at 20 degrees instead of at 40 degrees can reduce running costs by 66%. Make sure your loads are full to avoid multiple washes and avoiding washing clothes unnecessarily – you don’t need to wash items after every wear!

 

Switch your lightbulbs

Did you know that only 10% of the energy used in traditional incandescent bulbs is converted to light? The other 90% is lost as heat. Switching to an LED bulb means over 90% of energy goes to light and it emits very little heat. This means they need far less energy to produce the same amount of light as a traditional bulb. Plus, they can have a 34-year lifespan, in comparison to an incandescent bulb, which tends to last around 1.4 years.

Utilise natural light by moving your workspace to wherever is brightest. It might also improve your mood and boost productivity!

 

Buy local plants

Plants are great for our mood, but plants shipped in from abroad have a very large footprint. We have local nurseries in Bournemouth & Poole (like Cherrytree & Chestnut Nurseries), who grow plants on site, saving on import costs and emissions. You can also take cuttings from friends from plants like Spider Plants, which are easy to propagate.

 

Cool it down

A 2°C increase in office temperature creates enough CO2 in a year to fill a hot air balloon. Be conscious with your heating and think about layering up and utilising timers to ensure your heating is only on at the times you need it, as well as opting for a lower temp to save energy.

Be savvy when choosing your housing and opt for properties with double-glazing, good energy ratings, and non-detached homes to save on heating.

 

Switch it off

You can save up to £30 a year just by turning your appliances off at the mains. Simple actions like remembering to unplug your phone, tablet, or laptop once they’re fully charged avoids using unnecessary energy. And bonus: your battery life will last longer!

 

Put your money where your ethics is

There’s a whole range of affordable household products that you can switch into your shop or make yourself. Here are some of our favourites:

 

For more housing tips and articles, as well as our Handy Housing Guide, check out our Living in Bournemouth webpage.

 

 

Sources:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/energy-saving-light-bulbs.html   

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/how-save-energy-when-using-your-washing-machine/