Finding and living in student accommodation has a bad reputation for being difficult or stressful, with equally bad press about poor quality housing, but it doesn't have to be like this. There are many great houses out there and lots of support to help you with the process. Student Services have collected lots of information which you can find here which will help you with every step of the process. 


Where to look

StudentPad has become a well-known website where you can search for accommodation all over Bournemouth and while the houses themselves have not been checked by the university they do take into account any comments or complaints from tenants and aim to only advertise properties from reputable landlords. 



If you're ever in doubt of which landlords to trust you can always try checking on Move'm where previous tennants can leave feedback about their landlords and the properties. You can always leave your feedback about your landlords too, it may help another student in the future. And remember, it doesn't all have to be negative. 



If you need a UK rent guarantor, Housing Hand is a guarantor service for students. For more information visit  (This link is for information only; AUBSU do not endorse Housing Hand) 


If you ever need advice about your property, landlord or even housemates you can speak to AUBSU for free, impartial advice by emailing:




If you're leaving for summer and need somewhere to store your belongings, LOVESPACE have low storage fees and will collect students' storage for free! It's also worth thinking about sharing storage with flatmates and friends to share the cost
(This link is for information only; AUBSU do not endorse LOVESPACE).

We also have charity donation bins situated on campus where you can donate any unwanted clothing, books, and other things to help lighten your load when moving out.




You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

To find out more, go to

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.

For more information on the ways to pay, go to

If I live in halls, won’t I already be covered by a TV Licence?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by a halls' licence.

What if I live in a shared house?

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers

Won't my parents' licence cover me?

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer?

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

What if I don’t need a licence?

If you don’t need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.